Sunday 11 February 2007

the amazing 24 hour sock!

Thanks to Canberra having a rainy Saturday (a miracle!) and having my six year old niece visiting for the weekend, I managed to get one whole sock completed in 24 hours! We watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Never Ending Story together, and the result was Thuja from Knitty.



It's pictured here resting in my Catmint plant.

This is for my brother in law and I've only started patterns for his socks about six times! You see, for a bloke, he has rather small feet and finding a pattern that turns out the right size has been difficult. I could use the guide in the Yarn Harlot's book but I loaned it to a friend and so didn't have the basic sock recipe here.

Thuja is fantastic. Knit on 3.5mm DPNs, it knits up in seed stitch rib really quickly. I love it. I'll have the other one done by the time I see him in Sydney next weekend easily! His birthday was in January, so they're well over due but frankly it's too hot for knitted socks at the moment anyway. But he knows they're coming.

It's been a nice weekend. Having a six year old in the house is a lot of fun. We made a chocolate and vanilla marble cake, a pizza, and buttermilk pancakes. I started a diet last week. So much for that!

But we did score some great bounty from the garden, which is in full production mode now.



Now, if I can just get the socks out of the way, I can get back to focusing on the steeked jacket. I probably needed a break from it for a couple of days anyway. Two handed knitted seems to hurt my hands if I do it for too long, which is a bit of a bummer, but there's no rush right?

Bells