Sunday 28 October 2007

It's Oh So Quiet

Call me insane, but it's the first morning of daylight saving and I am wide awake at 7:30am.

Didn't we just lose an hour's sleep? Didn't we go to bed last night at 11pm, making it really midnight?

And I'm awake because?

I'm insane. Obviously. Sean is fast asleep and I feel like everyone must be still in bed except me and I love it! After I'm done here, I'm going to throw on a DVD and make another pot of tea.

Here's some knitting. I feel like with all the Christmas knitting i'm doing, there won't be so much showing of knitting going on, what with family members reading the blog and everything.

I finished the first magic loop sock and my third for Southern Summer of Socks.


I've now decided I really do like magic loop. I'm over the hurdles. I'm not convinced I'll use it for fancy patterns but never say never. I love the yarn. Gift yarn (ONLine Supersocke 100) bought from Germany by my sister. Thanks Delly! It's gorgeous.

And my theory that magic loop would change my tension has been disproved. I used the same number of stitches on 2.25mm needles that I used for my koigu socks on DPNs and it fits me like a glove.

***

On other matters, I'm in mourning. For the past two weeks I've been devouring Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence read by Brenda Dayne from Cast-On. I'd not read the book before but I'd loved the film with Daniel Day-Lewis when I was about 20. The book, as so often happens, contains so much more than the film ever could and I was gripped for the entire thing. I got to the last chapter in the car yesterday and had to drive around my suburb for ten extra minutes to finish it off before getting home.

I can't believe it's over and feel somewhat out of sorts because of it. I feel like just starting back at the beginning immediately to cope with the loss. 19th Century New York is not a place I could ever want to inhabit, and yet the book captivated me and Brenda's reading of it was astoundingly good. Her voice is so measured and resonant. Is that how a 19th Century New Yorker might have sounded, perhaps a little?

Alright, off to boil the kettle.