Thursday 13 November 2008

Stealth knitting

Tomorrow, Friday the 14th, Sean turns 40.

Tomorrow, we disappear from town on a morning flight for the weekend to do our own thing in Melbourne. No commitments other than a booking at a posh restaurant tomorrow night.

I'll finally be able to give him the two pairs of socks I've been surreptitiously working on for the last 2-3 months. Do you know how long socks for men take when you only knit them on the bus?

A long time. There were moments I was sure I wouldn't make it, but I did and I know he will love them because he whinges ALL THE TIME about how I never knit for him anymore. he he

It got to the point where I began devising afternoons with friends in order to have more knitting time. Here's a glimpse of one of them at Kuka's house. When Kuka posted about our afternoon together, she even fibbed for me and said I worked on my pi shawl. I did that, but only once Sean arrived to collect me. The rest of the afternoon, it was all about the socks.

sock

I'm certain he knows he's getting some socks tomorrow. I'll save the amusing story for how he found out for the finished object post next week.

But they're done now, and wrapped, hidden away for tomorrow morning. I think 1968 was a very fine year. Several very good people turned 40 this year, including Kylie, Julie and RoseRed's husby. Fine people from a very fine year.

I'm posting this now because I doubt he'll look here tonight and I'm giving them to him first thing. I'm the sort of person who wakes up early excited about someone else's birthday.

Now, to decide what knitting to take. All those cafes and pubs require simple knitting, no doubt.

See you in a few days!

Bells