Thursday 18 June 2009

Half Done Cardigan

Let it be said, up front, that I have had truly the most difficult of days. Not all of it was bad but not all of it was particularly good. Some not so great news, some crap stuff at work including packing to move to a new building (not just me - the whole floor is moving) and a general feeling at the end of the day of being very, very washed out.

But I got to come home early and sit in the peace and quiet of a silent house, with a bottle of Sav Blanc chilling in readiness for later on.

And I took some photos. Self portraits in the bathroom mirror of my half done Chevron Lace Cardigan. For some reason, I'm all about crochet this week. It's really hitting the spot, as evidenced by the fact I've reached the waist in next to no time.

Chevron Lace Cardigan - Bathroom Portrait

I think it's very cute. I love the simplicity of it. I love that, to me, it doesn't look in any way like how you might expect a crochet cardigan to look. One of the reasons I took up knitting in 2003 was because it seemed to me then that there were not so many un-daggy crochet patterns around, in terms of garments. I found a few back then (and I must do a post about my very favourite crochet cardigan that I have worn to death for five years or more) but there weren't that many.

The internet has changed all that and I think there are many more great crochet garment designers around now. I for one can't wait to finish this one. It's (I'm so tempted to say knitting up, out of habit) crocheting up beautifully and the Bendigo Luxury is gorgeous to work with. Give me a few days, I think I might be there.

One last thing, for locals, Genevieve Jacobs from local ABC radio is looking to interview tomorrow any willing 'old school knitters' - anyone who was knitting in the 1970s and has stories to tell about vintage patterns. She just posted on Ravelry (as a big fan, I was thrilled to see the post!) and she asked that you call her directly on 6275 4561 where you can leave a message and she'll get back to you. I was knitting in the 70s but I was a slip of a girl and making things like holey scarves for my dad, so I don't think I qualify, but if you do, give her a call!

Bells