Saturday 27 June 2009

Pretty Crochet Pants

I've been working this week on a special gift for a little girl who turns one tomorrow. A pair of crochet pants, for George's little girl, Grace.

Crochet Pants for Grace

They're made from Cleckheaton Cocoon, a 4ply baby yarn in wool and nylon. Lovely soft and practical for a garment that will no doubt get a fair bit of rough wear as Grace learns to walk. I wanted them to be practical and pretty at the same time, hence the touch of frill on the bottom of the legs.

Crochet pants - leg detail

The pattern said that for the waist, hat elastic should be used but I looked at hat elastic and wasn't sure. I can't really say why, so I went with shirring elastic in the end (note to self: don't pull on it too hard, it breaks!). I'll have to see them on before I am sure it worked and might have to redo them since I'm not sure they'll go over a nappy or a fat baby tummy yet.

I might have done the three rows of shirring elastic too tight. But we'll see.

Crochet pants - waistband

The pattern is from a book I think I'll get lots of use out of. It's Cleckheaton booklet #957, Master Crochet.



I can think of a little girl in my family who will look gorgeous in more items made from this book. Crochet is wonderful for baby girls, I think. So pretty and versatile and quite fast. I'm sure if I had knit these pants I might still be going.

I have loved very much immersing myself in crochet in the last couple of weeks. The Chevron Lace Cardigan is very nearly complete - just a little more of then band and I'll be done.


Bells