Saturday 11 July 2009

Knitta Please & the Chevron Lace Cardigan

Today being the penultimate day of the Knitta Please event at the National Gallery, as part of it's Soft Sculpture exhibition, Sean and I trundled off to check it out today.

Knitters from all over the place took part in this event, responding to the call for strips of knitted fabric (some crocheted fabric was also provided) so that the organisers could do this.

knittaplease

And this

Knitta Please Soft Sculpture

I never quite got around to knitting a piece to contribute and today, I felt a bit sad about that. It would have been nice to be part of a scene like this but it was very enjoyable to look at the efforts of others - such colour and vibrancy!

Today I wore my Chevron Lace Cardigan for the first time and Sean obligingly took a few photos while I examined the tall columns at the entrance to the gallery that had been dramatically adorned in knitting.

Knitta Please Columns - National Gallery of Australia

I was surprised by how impressive it was to stand beneath tall columns of knitting.

Chevron Lace Cardigan Side

Here's the cardigan, which I'm loving, from the back.

Chevron Lace Cardigan Back

And from the front.

Chevron Lace Cardigan Front

I'm so happy with this cardigan, although it's been a bit touch and go. After finishing it several weeks ago, it grew to thigh length after blocking, so I ripped out the band, took about 3-4 inches at least off the bottom and reworked the band three times. For some reason, a simple crochet band took several goes to get right.

My only complaint is that the neck is quite tight. If I make this again, and I think I will, I'd make the neck a little wider. The reason I haven't attached any buttons or clasps to it is that it chokes my throat when I hold it closed. I think it works quite well without any kind of fastening, but I'd have liked to do it. I'm still playing with the notion of doing it up lower down but am as yet unsure.

Details as follows:

Pattern: Chevron Lace Cardigan by Milobo

Yarn: Bendigo Luxury 8ply in Oceanic 400g. This was my first time using this new, pure wool product by Bendigo Woollen Mills. I think it has easily become my favourite of theirs, with just one project. Soft, smooth, not very splitty, a delight to use. I'll be getting more.

Time: June 9 - July 4.

Hook: 5.5mm. I'm happy with the amount of openness I achieved with this size. It meant my gauge was slightly off but it only took minimal fudging at the point of dividing for the sleeves in order to get it right. I really didn't want it to be too airy.

I really love this cardigan. I think it'll get loads of wear over the remainder of winter. Next time, I might try capped sleeves, which I've seen others do to great effect.

Bells