Tuesday 7 July 2009

Tour de France - Day Four

Apparently the Tour de France is well underway. I'd like to say it's been a great race so far and that I've hung on most, if not every moment I was able to watch but it's not true. Late at night when the race starts, I've been heading to bed, dosed up and trying to get better.

But I did discover yesterday you can watch highlights of the race on SBS at 6pm. I'll try and catch that, or hell, even record it!

Of course, I've been up front from the start about how this competition is for me, more about the knitting than the cycling. As long as I get to catch glimpses of the race and soak up the scenery, I'll be content. Maybe I'll have some late nights on the weekend.

There has been some quality knitting time though. How clever of me to pick something that was all about garter stitch for much of its beginning because frankly, that's all I feel like knitting! Here's what I've managed so far.

Garter Yoke Cardigan - a little bigger

So very satisfying this yoke business. I'm very much enjoying the Rowan Kid Classic and I'm enjoying watching it grow. I'm also enjoying using an application on my iphone for row counting.

Yes, as RoseRed pointed out, you can always use a pen and paper but oh, pen and paper doesn't have that satisfying little click! And unlike traditional row counters, on which you can only count rows, this has an inbuilt counter for managing increase and decrease rows.

The application even has a bit of local flavour. Local knitter, Pransell, has a very talented partner who developed this iphone application. You can find it at Cordless Dog.

If you have an iphone, or an Ipod Touch, I really recommend this application. It's simple and neat and while you can get free ones, I think it's worth paying the minimal amount for the ability to count increase and decrease rows. It also allows you to have more than one project on the go at a time. I love it.

And lest anyone should think I've abandoned my Chevron Lace cardigan, fear not, it's still around. I had to modify it and reblock it. It's at the back window in the sun now, after I finished it some days ago.

Chevron Lace Cardigan - after modifications

I'll show it off when it's dry.

Bells