Friday 17 November 2006

ranting about sleeves

I'm crap at attaching sleeves.

Really, really crap.

I know. It can take a few goes. But I'm over it after just one attempt.

Does someone know a good photo tutorial where I can see how it's done. You know, I've done it before. I did it when I was an innocent. I didn't know there was probably a better way to attach sleeves. I just happily shoved them in the right space and hoped for the best.

The results were mixed, I have to say.

Now I'd really like to do it properly.

I'm at work so I don't have a photo to show you just how crap I am at this, but trust me. It looks awful. Why does mattress stitch do the following:

1. It puckers. Well, not so much puckers but around the top of the shoulder, it doesn't sit flat.

2. No matter how carefully I check to make sure the ends meet up before I start sewing, I always end up with one piece longer than the other.

It would help if I had photos, wouldn't it?


Should I pin the whole damn thing to start with? I have some of those nifty knitting pins. Maybe I should use them. Would that help with the ends not matching up problem?

It's been so freakishly cold this week. It snowed. In NOVEMBER! I sat with the half sewn cardigan on my lap yesterday thinking, if I was better at this, I could be wearing it.

Guess it wasn't meant to be.

Bells