Tuesday 6 February 2007

when friends feed your yarn habit

Question: when you're on a stash diet, is wool given to you by someone else with the expressed purpose of making something for them out of it allowed?

I thought I was doing ok with the whole stash diet thing. It's been tough when I get that urge, you know, kind of like the urge for a cigarette (which I get every time I try to quit, but let's not go there).


I guess I am doing ok, really, but my God, the sense of relief I have now because someone gave me new wool is just amazing. I feel so good coming home with a bag of wool to add to my stash!

See this!



My lovely friend Catriona found this the other day (at the Mawson shop, for locals) at a mere $5 a ball. She thought, I know, Bells can make me something out of this!

And make something I will.

It's a wool I've never met before, from New Zealand. 8ply merino and silk (70% merino, 30% silk). It's beautiful. Feels so soft and pretty and, well, silky. I'm quite taken with it. She has more of it on order so I can make her a vest. Remember I said I was going to design one? Well this is the stuff I will eventually make said vest out of.

I love the colour too. I don't know what you'd call it. Catriona was referring to it as 'purpley blue' but we thought there must be something more fitting.

Either way, I'm going to start swatching, seeing what I can come up with. Julie, all your encouragement when i was getting set up for the steeked jacket might just pay off. I am not afraid of numbers. I am not afraid of numbers. If I say it enough, I might just start believing it.

I'm off to play!

Bells