Monday 28 May 2007

My *student*

On a Friday morning a bit over a week ago, a friend, let's call her T, emailed me to say she was thinking about taking up knitting.

T is a new barrister. She just got her qualifications this year and has been working very, very hard.

For those of you who were around in December last year, I made the white lace scarf for her and my first ever socks for her husband as Christmas presents. We spent 5 delightful days with T and her husband in Brisbane.

I had her pegged as a friend I'd be always knitting for (happily, mind you) as she was incredibly receptive but not really very interested in the art itself.

T is the fastest convert I've ever seen. In a bit over a week she has

1. Completed her first beanie (which I instructed her through by phone and email);
2. Decided she prefers ciruclars to straights;
3. Bought a range of accessories;
4. Discovered Knitty;
5. Chosen a pattern for a jumper for her husband;
6. Bought the wool for the jumper;
7. Taught herself cables;
8. Discovered that knitting is a fabulous way to have down time after a heavy going day without feeling like you're doing nothing;
9. Discovered that a creative outlet is a wonderful thing to have;
10. Engaged in lengthy phone chats with me on the above subjects.

I should add that T did know the basics before this. She could cast on, knit and purl but the rest is new territory.

She'll probably read this so please welcome her to our world!

Bells