Monday 30 July 2007

On the cusp of Spring

Over the weekend, I was knitting away happily on my Embossed Leaves socks when Sean said, 'You know, you really need to knit the steeked jacket sleeve if you expect to finish it.'

Shit.

He then also said, 'People bought you nice things as encouragement, Bells. You have to keep going.'

Shit. Shit.

I really will, you know. I worked on it four nights running last week. RoseRed summed it up nicely today when she said, 'Husbands aren't meant to comment on knitting like that.'

Too right.

Spring
I do actually enjoy winter, but it doesn't mean I don't get a buzz out of spring coming either.

Yesterday, it was pleasant enough for a little while in the afternoon that we felt drawn to go outside for a bit. That's what Canberra is like in winter. You get this tiny patch of inviting sunlight between about 2pm and 2:30. Sean swears it's less than that.

Naturally, I took the camera.

I found my first crocus. It's a wee little thing.


I bought this winter daphne about four years ago. It's done bugger all every year since, sitting in a large pot like a dummy, until yesterday, when i discovered the flowers.


And here's one of the many self sewn catmint plants I've got around the place, having been hacked back hard to reveal fresh, tender growth. I'm oddly obsessed with catmint and I really can't say why.



We spent a quiet, much needed soul-feeding weekend at home, oddly enough also feeding our bellies with roast chicken, Sean's pork ribs and this incredible cake.


It's a Nigella Lawson recipe I won't put on the Mouthfuls of Heaven blog because it's from the wrong book. It's from FEAST. And it's astounding. It's a Chocolate and Guiness Cake.

Incredibly, you start with a bottle of Guinness and a whole block of butter melting into it. Oh my. It gets better and better until what you've got is this creation that, with the cream cheese icing, is supposed to look like a pint of Guinness. Not a bad impersonation, if you ask me.

Bells