Monday 5 November 2007

D'oh!

See this?


In case it's not obvious, it's a stitch marker knitted into a sock. I'm sure we've all done it. If you haven't, and would like to, here's how I did it.

You show up nice and early for a blood test, pull out your sock-in-progress and decide to be clever and read a copy of New Idea at the same time. Then you get really involved in a story about how Antonia Kidman's ex-husband is a complete twat and suddenly you have a stitch marker knitted into your work.

Superb work Bells!

***

I have a recommendation. On the weekend we started watching the film made by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman called Long Way Round. If you haven't heard of it, it's the story of these two great mates who have a crazy idea to ride from London to New York on motorbikes (via Mongolia, Siberia and other places).

I loved the first episode so much, I went out on Sunday afternoon and bought the DVD immediately. There was no way I was waiting a week for the next installment. We've watched about half of the ten episodes and it's gripping, fabulous stuff. I love both these guys and am totally taken with the whole thing. It also helps that I've long had a crush on Ewan McGregor. So here at least it's on SBS on Saturday night for the next little while - but the DVD is totally worth it.

I'm not doing it justice, I know. I have no interest in motorbikes - for me it's the adventure, the trials (and there are many!) and the way these two guys interact that's got me hooked. There are so few examples of really great male friendship in the media, I think. It's not got all that macho bravado and bullshit that's supposed to be the basis of male friendship. They're two mates who openly admire and respect each other, have loads of fun, struggle with and overcome the difficulty of being together day in day out in really challenging circumstances and do their best to live out a fabulous dream.

They swear a lot, as my father in law noted during one episode. . My mother, who also loves Ewan, would probably say, 'why does such a nice man have to swear to so much?' Well, I reckon if you were up to your eyeballs in mosquitoes and your big heavy bike was bogged in Mongolian mud with no help nearby, you'd probably say fuck a lot, too!

Anyway, I really can't recommend it enough. I'm blown away.

Bells