Thursday 17 January 2008

FO: Forest Canopy Shawl

And here, folks, is my first lace shawl. Enjoy.

Unblocked.


Remote control provided for scale. It's really not very big, huh?

Blocking.

I used the Yarn Harlot's suggested method for dealing with straight edges when you don't have blocking wires. I threaded sock yarn through the straight edge before wetting it (I let it soak for about half an hour) then tied the yarn to each end of the bed for tension. Worked a treat.

Blocked


Stylish shot huh? ;-) Even Sean admired the colours of this yarn, which cannot adequately be captured on camera.

The details:

Pattern: Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl.
Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill Supersock in Java - thank you RoseRed! And I had, in the end, just 5g or 0.17 of an ounce left over! Close!
Sticks: 4mm Addi Turbo lace circular needle - again, thank you RoseRed!
Summary: I loved this project so much. Got off to a rough start but soon settled in and just enjoyed watching it emerge. Can't fault it. Will make it again.

And the blocking process! Oh the blocking process! How good is it? I have blocked scarves but never scrunched up shawls. I need to do it again. Soon.

So in light of that, I'm thinking the Swallowtail Shawl in an alpaca silk blend that was a gift from Julie. I think I will go cast on now!