Tuesday 15 January 2008

Lifelines Rock!

In a way I'm very glad I was forced to use one of my lifelines in my shawl. It taught me a lot.

For those who don't know what a lifeline is, it's where you thread a line of slim cotton or other smooth yarn through your stitches on the needle, and keep knitting. That way, if you make a mistake or, as happened to me, run out of yarn, you can just rip back to the life line, which holds your stitches just like a needle would. Pick 'em up and away you go.

I took the shawl along to SnB last night and got on with the job there, figuring if I got stuck, there'd be someone there to help. As it turns out, I didn't need it. I ripped back about a dozen rows and lo and behold, there were those delightful little stitches, waiting on the strand of pink yarn, just like they were supposed to.

I picked up the stitches with a smaller gauge circular needle, just for the picking up part,and proceeded to knit them onto the proper sized needle.

I went home, watched a fascinating bio-pic on Elizabeth David (fabulous food writer from the 50s, in case you don't know) and went to bed knowing I have only two rows to go.

This has been perhaps one of the most satisfying and instructional knits I've ever done. I am besotted with it. Utterly, completely smitten.

Photos to follow. Don't you worry about that!

Bells