Monday 5 January 2009

Summer thoughts

I haven't done a dot point post for a while and in the absence of any knitting I can post, this seems fitting for a Monday night.

  • Summer appears to have arrived. Finally. A few days ago, the veggie garden was still looking decidedly unsure if it wanted to grow or not. Suddenly, things are springing into life. To that end, I've been out early in the mornings the last couple of days working on it and it looks all the better for it.
  • Isn't it funny how how when you actually get down and do things, like gardening in the morning, stuff happens and everything looks better for it?
  • Tomorrow we are going to Sydney, just for the day. We're visiting RoseRed first to see her lovely new house and exchange belated Christmas gifts. I'm particularly excited about what I'm giving to her - and really, isn't that the point? 
  • After we see RoseRed, we are going to visit one of Sean's oldest friends. He is dying. I don't even know what to write about that.
  • We got a new BBQ this weekend. It's second hand, from friends of ours who recently upgraded. We got one that way because even buying a second hand one meant we got a better one than if we'd bought on on that budget new. It's got six burners and a wok burner and it's big. We ate chicken salad and drank wine in the back yard when it was almost dark. Fun. 
  • We are still on leave. Lots of people went back to work this week, but not us. This is good. I don't think we really unwound in the first week. The second week, I'm planning to find a nice balance between the easy, floaty dream state of having few commitments and being super  productive. If that means working hard from dawn for a few hours, then knitting in the dark of a lounge room with closed curtains, then so be it!
  • Adele returned from her holiday in the Snowy Mountains this weekend and declared the Hemlock Ring Blanket I made for them was put into immediate service. In January. Apparently it was cold enough at nights for it to be warm and comfy under a heavy woollen blanket. Who knew?
  • Yesterday we saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Long movie but beautiful and breathtaking. I never used to like Brad Pitt but he's growing on me. I've thought about this movie a lot in the last 24 hours and that's a good thing in my book.
  • The lace knitting, just so you know, has gone very well since the first few aborted attempts. I've settled in; we're getting on well and becoming very nicely acquainted. This is good. 


Bells