Monday 16 February 2009

Beautiful socks & Emergency Knitting

I didn't make these socks. But the yarn is mine.

socks1

Once again, RoseRed and I participated in a sock swap that means you contribute yarn of your own and two of your friends knit a sock each out of it. The result is new socks on which you didn't knit a single stitch.

This time, participants were me, RoseRed, Donni, Nora and Kristie. Months ago now, I handed over a skein of Knittery yarn and a week or two ago, got these socks in the mail, knit by Nora and RoseRed. 

I'm thrilled to bits with them. They fit beautifully, are a very fine gauge and they have shown me that a pattern I've overlooked continually is actually stunning.

The pattern is from Interweave's Favourite Socks. Merino Lace Socks. To me, the photo of the socks in the book is fairly nondescript.  I've never considered the pattern.

socks2

Clearly they are well worth making. Thanks Nora and RoseRed. Your work is stunning and my feet are happy.

***
As an amusing aside, I have a story to tell.

This morning as we were getting ready to leave for work, I said to Sean that I would do something I've not done for a long time. I said I planned to not take any knitting out with me today. This was because I was driving and so wouldn't have time to do any.

Sean's response was, 'But what about if you need some emergency knitting?'

He paused and said, 'I can't believe I now use phrases like 'emergency knitting' in every day speech.'

Neither can I. 

And yes, I took the knitting. You just never know when you'll need it.

Bells