Sunday 13 September 2009

FO: Shetland Triangle Shawl II

In spite of the unseasonally warm weather this weekend, I took my brand spanking new Shetland Triangle Shawl out and about. There may not be many days cold enough to wear her this year, so I thought I'd better make the most of it.

First of all, she came on a little jaunt with blogless EssiMay over to Tuggeranong yesterday afternoon to Stitch n Bitch at Coffee Guru.

Shetland Triangle

In that photo I'm knitting Branching Out in my new favourite yarn - Malabrigo Silky Merino. Oh my. More on that later!

She came along to the Belconnen Markets this morning where I worked on my toe up knee hi socks over a coffee while Sean took photos.

Shetland Triangle - at the markets

All in all, I'd say she's perfect. There's a very good reason why I've made the Shetland Triangle Shawl twice. It's a simple and effective pattern. The first one, made from vibrant red Wollmeise, is glorious because of the colour and the size (it's quite huge).

This one is slightly smaller at only ten repeats and just over one skein of Socks that Rock (lightweight). And I think the stand out feature of this one is that the colour (called Winter Solstice) is both delicate and striking. With subtle variegation it's light enough to show off the leafy lace pattern.

It's pretty much an instant gratification shawl. A bit over two weeks is all it took, and it would be less if project monogamy was something I was capable of.

Speaking of shawls, I have completed the body of my black Myrtle Leaf Shawl and I spent two hours this morning trying to fathom the instructions in Victorian Lace Today for knitting on the Willow border. TWO HOURS! Who has that much time to just throw down the toilet? I almost threw the shawl across the room in disgust. I have knitted on a border before, but not in the way the instructions say to and not in black cobweb lace.

All advice gratefully received, in this instance. I have researched blogs, Ravelry forums and have read the instructions again and again. To no avail. Has anyone who's made it or understands complex knitted on borders know how to explain it in as plain a manner as possible? Unlike the Shetland Triangle, I don't think I'll ever make Myrtle again!

Bells