Monday 11 June 2007

i live for public holidays

I vowed I would NOT cook today. Three solid days of cooking tests even the stamina of someone like me who considers cooking vital to my mental well being.

I did make stock from the turkey carcass today, though. It's on the stove now and will stay there until I can face it. I don't consider that actual cooking.

I'll get a break from cooking for the next couple of days, too as Sean is going away for work and when on my own, I don't cook much. One night I'm going out with a friend for dinner (mmm....mussels, it's our thing) but on the night I'm home alone, I envision cheese on toast or if I really feel like slumming it, cereal.

We moved into our house a year ago and in that time, I've never had a night here by myself so I'm both excited and a little weirded out by the thought of having to turn off all the lights by myself before going to bed. What a dork. I've done it before. Just not in a long time. I may post for company. :-)

Anyway, I wanted to post a couple of photos from the Christmas feast. There weren't many taken, and I've already posted the table all dressed for lunch. I've gone through the rest of them and they all include photos of other people who were here, including Sean. I don't think any of them want to go public on my blog, so you'll have to make do with just the one. Sorry!

Here's the table, post main course, adorned with the amazing spice cake I made. It was REALLY good. I'll be posting a write up about it on Mouthfuls of Heaven in the next few days.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've hardly done any knitting this weekend, although I will confess that I ripped out the offending errors in the steeked jacket sleeve, despite everyone advising me that it's what the Amish people do and what makers of Persian rugs do (leave mistakes in as a mark of humanity). What gets me through doing that kind of thing? Comments from Julie along the lines of,

'I'd need vodka to do that' (suggests I am right to be pissed off and/or daunted or both by the prospect) and

'The mark of a good knitter is someone who's willing to rip out work' (she said that a long time ago but I sometimes think I should have it made into a card I can put up by my knitting spot in the lounge room.

But I feel better for it and refuse to see it as lost knitting time.

In other news, another friend, VM, has taken up the needles, as of today. I think she felt left out that several of her friends seemed to be into the idea and having fun. Not one to miss out on fun, she has made her first tentative steps into our world. I never expected it. I'm shocked, mainly because she openly mocked us for our love of needles and yarn. I believe she even called a couple of us nerds for shopping for wool instead of shoes recently.

Don't get me wrong. I love shoes. I just love wool more.

Welcome to the world, VM. I hope you stay long.

Bells