Sunday 10 February 2008

FO 2008: Gentleman's Fancy Socks

Well, by the end of the weekend, I can safely say I'm just hours away from completing the jacket. Both shoulder straps are done. The second one took a fraction of time of the first one and I was so involved in it this morning, that when Mr Darcy emerged from the lake, I didn't even look up! How's that for focused?

Sean has returned from Iron Maiden full of happy descriptions along the lines of 'awesome' and 'pure theatre.' That's apparently what many detractors of metal don't get (so I'm told). It's theatre. All that anger and violence is just theatre.

He said it occurred to him on the train full of metal fans all making their way home last night that he was on the safest train you could ever be on. Metal fans, of which Sean is a fairly typical example, are peaceful, thoughtful, gentle people. I guess it seems to me like they get to exorcise their rage through the music and then get on with their peaceful, regular lives. It kinda makes sense. I still think the music sucks.

Anyway, onto some socks. I haven't actually finished a pair since I picked up the jacket again.

Pattern : Gentleman's Fancy Socks from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks
Yarn: The Knittery in 'Earth' (love it! My first encounter with The Knittery yarn and I adore it! I already have more in the wings, waiting to go.)
Sticks: 2mm/size 0.

Result: They look beautiful but they are way too small for me. How this pattern, which I knit on the specified needles, just as an experiment, is supposed to fit a 'gentleman' I don't know. They're way too small for me and I'm a medium. There's no way they'd fit a regular sized man.

But it's a great pattern and I'll use it again. Probably for Sean.

Since they won't fit either of us, I'm donating them to Can Assist, a cancer treatment facility which has put the call out for knitted socks.

If you're interested in helping out, check out our Southern Summer of Socks blog and you'll find a few posts there outlining the project and how you can participate.

And finally, I got a new job! I forgot to mention it earlier. The day after I didn't get the job I wanted, a director in another area did a deal with my director and I start in a new area on Wednesday. Different floor, different work. It's only a short term measure but it has come at just the right time. Yay!

Bells