Saturday 16 February 2008

Other-craft

Today, nearly six months after going shopping with Jejune and buying some fabric, I learned to use a sewing machine. I wasn't a total sewing machine virgin, having fooled around in high school a bit, but today, I did it by choice. Jejune was patient and an excellent teacher.


I'm half way through making an apron. I'm going back in a couple of weeks to finish it. It's red, of course. As Mr Jejune pointed out, it'll hide the red wine stains nicely. Truer words were never spoken.

Before I went a-sewing this afternoon, I gathered vast quantities of chillies from my garden. Here we have a selection of anaheim, jalapeno, poblano and serrano chillies. It's a good thing we like our food hot. And there are a loads more where those came from. Soon I have to take a photo of the chilli plant I've got that looks like it's lit by candle flames.



Tomatoes are prolific, as always.

And don't get me started on zucchinis. If you'd like to see what a great zucchini cake looks like, go check out what Nigella Lawson suggests on Mouthfuls of Heaven. Best zucchini cake ever. In discussing my not so insignificant zucchini issue with RoseRed, it was decided I ought to be documenting what I do with them, so that next year I can look back and remember. So I shall. Stay tuned for the Zucchini Series. (I have ratatouille on the stove at this very minute).


Now, I shall go pour a glass of red and finish off the ratatouille.

Bells