Tuesday 11 March 2008

On Chocolate and Gardening

I have to say, I agree with everyone who said the Cutaway cardigan is nicer than the Sitcom Chic cardigan. It's funny how things work out, isn't it? I hated all the mistakes and cursing along the way, but the outcome has pleased me, so it's all worked out nicely. It's flying along at a cracking pace.

And yes, photos of me in the jacket are coming but it's become incredibly hot again and the thought of posing in a jacket that heavy for the time it'll take to get good photos outside in daylight kind of make it unappealing. Hold tight. I'll get there, but maybe not til the end of the month when RoseRed takes me shopping in Newtown for special buttons!

Chocolate
Now, a couple of days ago, RoseRed posted about being aware about what kind of chocolate you're buying. Do you know where it comes from? Do you know how it's produced? Are there any child slave trade connections? We'd both been inspired by some things Em in the US had written on a post about chocolate.

To be honest, I'd never really thought about it that much. I try to buy local. I try to be aware. But I'd never given my ethical choice of chocolate much thought. I started eating Green and Black Organic chocolate because Tinkingbell sent me some. I liked it. Actually I LOVED it. I didn't know it was ethical as well.

But it's expensive. So when I recently discovered a more economical chocolate that is also organic, I got a bit excited. It's from Aldi and costs about $2.50. We had the dark version and it was rich and creamy. And gone very quickly.


I was all excited about the ethical and economical aspects of this chocolate and then I did some research and found out it's not actually fair trade certified. But organic and sustainably produced is a start. If i'm feeling poor, it's an almost viable option.

And right now, I could really go a square or two. Wonder if Sean feels like a trip to the shops?

Garden
We have some new babies in the family. These are cuttings of all our favourite garden plants, set up in little green houses (plastic bags) in preparation for next spring. I show them here more for the record than anything else, but honestly, how can anyone resist baby sage and thyme plants?

Or baby hebe and St John's Wort (at least, I think that's what it is).

Here are Photinia cuttings.


And finally, some winter Daphne.


Come spring, it'll be a case of Instant Garden!

Bells