Wednesday 19 March 2008

Turning the virtual into the real

Over the last few days, I've had the good fortune to meet a couple of bloggers in person. One by surprise, the other by arrangement.

First of all, there was Jess. I went to a friend's birthday morning tea at the Hyatt on Sunday morning and was promptly introduced to someone who apparently knew me. My friend had told me about Jess before and how she hoped we would meet but I hadn't quite twigged she would at the morning tea. How very lovely!

It's always slightly disconcerting to find that people you haven't met before know things about you. For example, I pulled out Will's socks that I was working on and Jess said, 'Oh, Will's socks!' How funny and odd, but altogether pleasant.

Jess followed me out when I was leaving and gave me, most generously, a bag of various kinds of yarn including, to my complete surprise, enough Cleckheaton Country 8ply for a whole jumper or cardigan!



I didn't realise quite how much was there until I got it home, so thank you, Jess. That's astoundingly generous and it will be stashed away with care until I can decide what it should be.

Many of you will know the next blogger I met - Tinkingbell! Tink arrived on the knit-blogging scene about a year ago with full force and quickly became a friend to many of us. Up from Tasmania for her annual visit to family, it just so happened that she was shopping in town yesterday and was more than keen to join Georgie, Quilting Mick, Jejune and I for lunch (there's talk of another get together at a time more convenient to everyone else so Canberra bloggers, George and I will be in touch).

On her way to Canberra, Tink stopped in at Bendigo Woollen Mills. Oh how jealous we all were. I got a souvenir!


Who knew that Bendi made sock yarn? It's actually made for them in Italy.

You know what it reminds me of? A Van Gogh painting. Can't think which one. I'll ask Adele. She'll know, being the Van Gogh fan. Incidentally, I learned on the weekend that her son, Willem, is named after Van Gogh - it was his middle name. I felt so stupid not knowing that. For some reason I always thought they named him after Willem Dafoe. Not that they are particular fans of his, but I just thought they liked the name. Van Gogh is a more interesting namesake, don't you think?

So it was brilliant to meet Tinkingbell and Jess - once more, the virtual becomes real and the cross over almost never fails to surprise and delight.

Bells