Thursday 10 April 2008

FO 2008: Donyale Socks (and green soup)

New socks!


These were on my MUST FINISH list for March. Like the Dublin Bay socks, they hung around too long for absolutely no good reason. Well, like the Dublin Bays there were put off for Christmas knitting and the jacket, and once I picked them up, oh boy didn't I fall in love with the yarn all over again!

It was a gift from dear friend, Amy in Rhode Island, when RoseRed and I started Southern Summer of Socks. If you haven't tried it, do! It's a good deal thicker than your average sock yarn and smooshy in the most delightful way (is there any way smooshy yarn couldn't be delightful?)

The pale buttery yellow is gorgeous.

(Edited to add: it's Reynolds Soft Sea wool!)

And yes, these are the socks I got readers to vote on last year - the vote resulted in the option of doing the cuff, heel and toe in the contrasting yarn, but I got to the toe of the first one and forgot. A good thing too. I almost ran out.

That contrasting yarn is, I think, Sullivans Sock Yarn and it was the remainder of the very first sock yarn I ever purchased, back in 2006. I like that I got to finish it off.

Oh and the pattern is, more or less, Donyale by Black Dog Knits. Lovely pattern. Mini cables in a four row repeat. Almost zen like in the repetition.

Next, socks for Sean. Trekking XXL yarn. I love it.



Soup

I keep forgetting to tell what the lurid green soup was that I posted a photo of last month. I was asked. It's a made up soup. I had some zucchinis left over from the end of the season (no surprise there) and lots of other green stuff in the fridge. I'll reconstruct it as best as I can. It's all approximate as it really was a random blending of stuff.


Bells' Green Soup

1 onion chopped
1 leek chopped
3-4 cloves garlic chopped
2-3 medium zucchini chopped
3 potatoes peeled and diced
500g (1lb)packet of frozen peas, thawed
250g (.5lb) box frozen spinach, thawed
1.5l (1.5 fl ounce) chicken or vegetable stock
Olive oil
1 tbs butter
Parmesan cheese

Saute onions, leeks and garlic in olive oil and butter until soft.
Add zucchinis and potatoes and sweat for five minutes or so.
Add stock and bring to the boil.
Lower to a simmer until vegetables are soft.
Add peas and spinach and cook for 5 minutes more.
Blend soup and season.
Served with grated parmesan on top and crusty bread.

Enjoy!

Bells