Sunday 18 May 2008

New Socks and a Button

April really was Sean's month. First of all he got the pi shawl blanky (which I have wrapped around my shoulders right now and is also pictured). Not long after, he got some new socks.

These were so good I think they will become my go-to pattern for Sean. They fit him like a dream.

Pattern: Gentleman's Plain Winter Socks from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks
Sticks: 2.75mm/US2
Yarn: Zitron Trekking (XXL) in black (with slight flecks)
Started: 7 April 2008
Finished: 1 May 2008
Thoughts: Great yarn - part of the German haul that some of us got from Georgie's German connections last year. Fabulous in every way - just a bit sticky if it gets in any knots inside the ball.

Great pattern. The longer than usual cuff in 2x2 rib really works. I will use it more. Sean has solid calves and slender ankles and so the tapering is just perfect for him. Also, the Dutch Heel construction (which an older Dutch woman told me at SnB was nothing like she or any of the women in her family had EVER knit) was perfect for him. A nice new trick for me and a great fit for him. I'll use it again.


Just an aside, Sean attended a work planning day on Friday with his branch and, as you do at these things, you play one of those Getting to Know You games where you tell some thing about yourself that no one is likely to know. Sean announced he was wearing hand-knit socks. He was asked, 'Did you make them yourself?' and he talked about being a knitting widower.

Albeit, one with warm feet.

Also, here's a button from All Fingers and Thumbs. Sarah is behind this blog, and therefore this button. If you don't know her, check her out. She has a lovely, lovely blog. Great photos and lots to keep you entertained.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Recently when I asked if knitting could be a metaphor for life (as many have asked before me) Sarah wrote in the comments that she is always muttering 'as in knitting, as in life' under her breath which tickled me no end. This is how the button was born. Sarah designed it.

And it's just so true. I'm not sure I can see a difference anymore between my knitting and my life. One is intrinsically a part of the other. If you agree, and you like buttons, feel free to add it to your sidebar and link back to Sarah's post on the subject.

Off to the Celebration of Wool at the Old Bus Depot Markets today. Over 40 wool and fibre producers. Oh my....it probably explains why I'm up and awake before 7am on a Sunday!

Bells