Thursday 23 October 2008

Day 23: Where the lace thing began


A while back, when RoseRed suggested a list of fun things to write about during Blogtoberfest, I knew right away that when the time came to write about 'My Favourite Knit' that I would write about my Forest Canopy Shawl.

It was my first finished object for this year and I think it was a sign of good things to come.

In January, I was still working on my Steeked Jacket and desperate to do something small and fun. So I went for lace. As you do. Everyone said it was a good first real lace project and I have to agree. A couple of false starts. Then I was off.

The yarn, like many of the best things in my stash, was a gift from RoseRed. Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn in Java. 

Little did I know that this was to become my most loved, most worn piece of knitwear this year. It was quick, but being my first lace, a bit of a challenge. I took to it like a duck to water.

And the blocking! Oh the blocking! Everyone said blocking lace was like some kind of alchemy. They were right.

Then, once the temperature dropped in April, I began to wear it. And wear it. And wear it. It goes with just about everything in my wardrobe and over winter, it's been my security blanket  shawl.

It may not be the big show stopper piece that the Steeked Jacket became, but it's a sentimental favourite and something I love and admire every single time I put it on. 

George is writing about her favourite knit tonight too, I believe. Have a look. Then if you feel like it, write about your favourite knit! Leave us comments so we know you've done it.

Bells