Thursday 18 December 2008

Black is the colour

A parcel arrived today. Not a gift, but a straightforward purchase. That's a bit rare at the moment. It's all about looking out for the arrival of things I've bought for other people in the last run up to Christmas, which I'm starting to feel better about now I've got stuff posted and am thinking about fun stuff, like what to eat and drink. 

But this lovely parcel arrived today and I was especially happy.

Zephyr - Ebony

Only two of these Jaggerspun Zephyr yarn cakes are mine. The other two belong to Kylie. We hunted around for black lace weight yarn and came up with this Zephyr from Yarns Online, which is, in case you don't know it, 50% wool and 50% Tussah Silk. I only recently learned that Tussah Silk means no silk worms suffered in the production of it. 

We have no immediate plans, but some time in the first months of the new year, Kylie and I fancy a bit of black lace knitting. At first, when I thought of it, the idea struck me as odd. Wouldn't black lace look like widow's weeds

And then I thought, so what? At worst, I can have days where I imagine I'm a Victorian heroine, right? Can't say that's never happened before. Kylie, being a fellow Victorian Lit lover, should be right alongside me on that front! I imagine we'll spend the next little while dreaming up just what it will be - hopefully something from Victorian Lace Today, which I hope to be given for Christmas.

****

For the sheep obsessed out there, you'll be interested to know that the 'grow your own sheep' has not, as the packet predicted, started to deteriorate. He's still taking up space on the dining table, looking as woolly as ever!

sheep

I think he may be with us for some days yet.

Bells