Saturday 2 May 2009

Three Baby Pieces

This afternoon I spent a delightful hour or two cuddling my little niece Alice in the three pieces I made for her. Here she is when I finally gave her back to her mum.

Alice in her three pieces

I made her a jacket, hat and booties and was astoundingly able to get all three pieces out of just two skeins of koigu, each of which is only 50g itself.

I never thought of koigu as having such good yardage, but in this instance, the skeins just kept on giving.

Alice sleeping

So, the details.

The jacket is Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Sweater on Two Needles from the Knitter's Almanac, or the February Baby Sweater as it's more commonly known.

So very simple. I even came to terms with the dreaded Gull Lace Stitch for this one. Not so dreaded anymore. And thanks to George's wisdom, I knitted the sleeves in the round, thereby making it all about as seamless as it could be, save for sewing up the holes under the arms that are inevitably left. That's what make this one so fast.

That took up about 55g of koigu.

The hat was something I decided to make when I realised I had the better part of a second skein remaining. I was with Kylie and Shelley at the time and we tried to figure out the number of stitches you'd need to make a hat from the same gull stitch pattern. We got it wrong. It looked very small but when I got home I checked Ravelry and found someone had worked it all out already. Thank Goodness. And the write up of it, including instructions for the crown decreasing, is here.

When it became apparent that the Koigu had still not run out, I made a pair of the rather well known pattern, Saartje's Booties. I made the larger size. I'm really glad. They'll fit her for quite some time to come, but honestly, I'm going to be making loads more of them I think (although I'll make the seamless version someone else came up with. Not that I found the seaming painful. It was all over rather quickly and the results are scrummy.

Saartje's Booties - for Alice

Her mum, my sister Fee, was pretty happy with it all too. I get the feeling I've found a great, and appreciated, way to use up lots of my left over yarn - little baby booties and socks!

Bells