Sunday 26 July 2009

Sweet Evangeline

I needed a gift for my friend Julia and I needed it fast. It had to be bright and beautiful, warm and comforting, just like Julia, and so last Monday night I hit upon the perfect thing.

Within minutes I'd bought the pattern for Evangeline mitts (Ravelry Link) from the The Sweet Sheep.

Julia's Evangelines

I used part of a skein of Malabrigo worsted in Sealing Wax, which was what was leftover from a gift from Amy in Rhode Island a long time ago. I've sat on it for so long, not sure which would be the perfect way to use it and I knew I'd be able to get two pairs of mitts out it if I was lucky. It'll be easy. I'll be casting on a pair for myself shortly so that I can have something red on my hands for what remains of winter.

Julia adored these. You know when someone really gets what you've done? When you've hit just the right note? This was one of those moments. Very satisfying.

They're a fast knit (if you do the short version, the pattern provides a long and short version) and the cable is actually pretty simple. By the time you've carefully done a few pattern rows, you've hit the thumb and next thing it's all over. Instant gratification.

* * *

And in other exciting news, I have officially finished my Tour de France cardigan. It's drying as we speak and should be ready for work in the morning.

Garter Yoke Cardigan -detail

I found what I think are the perfect buttons yesterday at Addicted to Fabric.

Full write up some time this week.

I'll see if a few more name suggestions come in for the knitting bear contest and choose something shortly.

Bells