Monday 27 July 2009

Tour de France Knit Along - Garter Yoke Cardigan

I made it. I finished my Tour de France Knit Along cardigan - yellow jersey - with twenty four hours to spare on the the deadline.

And here it is, taken bright and early, around 7:30am this morning before work. I had grand visions for a frosty morning for the photos, but wouldn't you know it, we got a clear, damp morning instead. C'est la vie.

Garter Yoke Cardigan

This, pattern, the Garter Yoke Cardigan from Knit 1, was such a fun, such an easy cardigan. Best cardigan I've ever made, I think. Not perfect, but of the three cardigans (gasp!) I've made this winter, it's hands down my favourite.

And the Rowan Kid Classic? To die for. Yes, it's a little furry, but in a good way, not in a scratchy way. It's warm yet airy.

This whole cardigan used only a mere 6x50g balls. That's 300g and a bit extra, maybe about 100g more. That's unheard of for a cardigan in worsted weight! Just for the comparison, my February Lady Sweater used around 450g. All day, I felt the cardigan light as a breath. That mix of lambswool and kid mohair is gorgeous. Trust me.

In this photo of the cardigan drying yesterday, you can see the waist shaping the pattern uses.

Garter Yoke Cardigan Drying

I don't think I'll get the full value of the waist shaping, given I won't wear it done up. I tried but I feel not right when I do. I don't feeling that buttoned up, and prefer it partially open.

I am so happy with the colour. It's called Peat. In some lights, there are undertones of a red-purple shade shot through it, not so much variegated as just highlighted. In other lights, it's almost black, or almost brown. It can be a cardigan for all outfits, as far as I'm concerned.

The garter yoke neck opened up a little once it was washed and dry. I think, given I've done the larger size, this means the neck will probably annoy me a bit if it stretches more but over a t-shirt, it'll be ok.

I will make this again. And again. I'm already eyeing my stash for other candidates.

And the race? You know, those men on bikes? I didn't even see the end of it. I couldn't articulate anything about it in any realistic way. I would hear the voiceovers and sort of drift off, seeing only the scenery. Not the fault of the sport or the commentators. I'm sure it was fascinating. I just don't absorb that kind of commentary or detail.

But I do work well under pressure!

Bells