Tuesday 11 August 2009

Loving the black lace again

Does anyone remember my ebony Myrtle Leaf shawl? If you do, maybe you thought I ditched it?

You'd be forgiven for thinking that since by my reckoning, I've not worked on it since the day this photo was taken, way back in April, at Knitting Camp!

Myrtle Shawl At Camp

To recap, it's from Victorian Lace today. The yarn is JaggerSpun Zephyr wool-silk and the pattern is Jane Sowerby's Myrtle Leaf Shawl with Willow Border.

Really, I just put it down for a few months because I was too busy knitting cardigans. I long ago decided that there was no rush on this particular piece. I don't particularly need a black lace stole but I sure as hell love knitting this stuff. So I decided it would take as long as it takes. It's not particularly hard, although the black is a bit draining to work with sometimes.

Having said that it will take as long as it takes, I'd kind of like to bump it along a bit and have it done well before the anniversary of starting it, which is late January. I'd like to have a fresh lace project of substantial proportions to work on once cardigan weather is over and I'm again in need of light, airy knitting that doesn't make me overheat.

So I reckon I could, if I focus, get this done before the end of September. No promises, but I do work well with a deadline looming and the thought of choosing something new, something not black, might just spur me on.

I'm home sick this week with a pretty nasty flu virus. The Dr told me to stay home until I'm no longer contagious so between naps, I'm sitting in the full glare of daylight and getting a bit of this lace knocked over. I'm a little over half way now I think and I know that if I focus, it moves fairly quickly.

Let's see how I go!

Bells